Sunday, April 09, 2006

Easter Baskets

It's hard to believe it's almost Easter already. I'll need to get some candy and make up baskets for the grandchildren -- got to give them their sugar rush! Hee. And of course I'll get some of our favorites.

When the boys were all at home I always used to make up individual Easter baskets with the candy each one liked. Firstborn was never much for sweets, but he really liked Jolly Rancher hard candies, so I'd get a bag of those. He also liked unusual things like Nik-L-Nips -- those little wax bottles with colored sweet liquid inside. I'd always look for something in that line for his basket. Stepson liked Reese's Peanut Butter Cups best, so I'd give him a lot of those. And for Young'un, there always had to be Peeps.

Peeps! I remember the first time Young'un ever saw them. He was a toddler, just tall enough that his head was even with the Easter baskets on the sun room table. I showed him the package of bright yellow Peeps, and he smiled rather formally -- as if wanting to share my enthusiasm but puzzled as to its source. "Peeps," he repeated. Then he asked, "What I do wit dem?" Oh! "You eat them," I told him, and I opened the package. Well, that's all he needed to hear! From then on, whenever he was in the sun room I'd catch him sidling over to the table, and when he left, a Peep would go with him!

So again this year, there'll be Peeps in Young'un's Easter basket. And at some point his father or I will say, "What I do wit dem?" Parents are like that. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home