Sunday, January 29, 2006

Suzy Homemaker

I've felt so lousy for so long, but today I had energy and felt like baking. I decided to make some of my beloved chocolate-chip cookies for my family and co-workers. I also had a ton of laundry to do this afternoon, so the washer and dryer were running all the time I was baking. I took the last batch out of the oven at a little after 4:00, and that meant it was time to start dinner. The oven never cooled off; I just jacked it up to 425 and started juggling pork chops, potatoes, and onions. Well, not actually juggling them, but sometimes it seems that way when I'm trying to get everything ready to go into the oven at the same time. I had the chops browning in two skillets while I peeled and sliced the potatoes and whacked up the onions. Once everything was in the oven and the timer set for 45 minutes I had time to go walk on the treadmill.

After dinner I loaded everything into the dishwasher except the two skillets; they have to be hand-washed. Then I folded laundry while watching "60 Minutes". It was pretty good tonight. Oh wow, another Bush appointee who's incompetent, in over his head, and if we ever have to depend on him to do his job we're totally screwed. So what else is new? My God, is incompetence a condition of employment for Bush appointees? "Oh, you know your ass from a hole in the ground? You're smarter than a box of rocks? Sorry, you're not qualified."

Being a member of the 911 Commission must be the most frustrating job in the world. You know what needs to be done, and none of it is done, and the people who should be doing it are full of excuses why they're not doing it. (Well, that's one thing they're full of.) It reminds me of being married to my previous husband. I was a genius until I disagreed with him; then I didn't have all the facts, or I was biased, or I was just plain wrong. Then when it turned out I'd been right after all, as it always did; and the thing I'd tried like hell to avoid came down on us, we all suffered but me most of all -- because I knew, I knew, and I couldn't stop it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home