Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Traditions

Well, I'm starting to get excited about the holidays. I'm on vacation next week -- we get next Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving, and I always take the other three days as vacation. I'll probably do a little Christmas shopping; I've already got a few things, so I'll pick up a few more. When I go back to work Christmas will be less than a month away, and I can start wearing my Christmas sweaters! Hee! I'm kind of tongue-in-cheek about wearing them, but all in all it's just another one of my many annual traditions.

And speaking of that -- yes, my birthday is also next week, and I'm reading Death of a President again. Husband and Young'un saw me lugging it around, and they had to tease me a little. "Don't you have that book memorized by now?" Actually I almost do, but I savor the ritual of reading it. I'm so much older, now, than JFK lived to be -- that's surprising to realize, since he and his administration were towering adults to me, back when I was ten. I don't know how many of them are even still alive... and those who are, are old. But for me they're frozen in time on November 22, 1963, like a fly in amber. Every year about this time, I open that book and there they are, waiting for me. Hello darkness, my old friend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home