Saturday, May 14, 2005

Snazzzybird's Award-Winning ANIMAL STORIES!

Wild Baby
Yesterday on our walk, Cling the Greyhound found a baby possum. She was doing some serious snuffling and I thought I'd better check it out. I saw a little furry back and at first I thought it was a mouse. But the color was wrong -- a kind of off-black or charcoal grey -- so I used a stick to push back the long grass and get a better look. Its feet were pinkish and looked like great big paddles with fingernails, and it had a looooooong snout with a little pink nose on the end. It was making a little squeaking noise, kind of like a mouse but more high-pitched. I wanted to pet it but thought I'd better not, because maybe its mother wouldn't take care of it if it had human scent on it. I figured she must be around somewhere, probably freaking out because of Cling and me -- either that, or rounding up a gang to attack us. A possum posse. Either way I thought we'd better clear out, so I arranged the long grass back as it was, and we left.

At the Vet
Today we took Cling and Angel to the vet for their annual check-ups. We knew we needed to bring a fecal sample from both of them, so Husband got one of Cling's while I dug for buried treasure in Angel's litterbox. Cling got all excited when Husband put her collar and leash on her, and became ecstatic when he led her to the car. She adores car rides. Angel hates them, because the only time she's ever in the car is to go to the vet. I always take her in her crate, because at least she's in a cozy space that she likes. Nevertheless, she meowed from the time I closed the door of the crate until we were almost to the vet. After we'd signed in, I took her out of the crate and Young'un held her while we waited our turn. The veterinary assistant weighed her (7.1 lbs), then got a digital camera and took a picture of her. It took a few tries, because Angel was not in a cooperative mood. Cling got her picture taken next. (Later when we got our receipts, their photos were printed out beside their names and information.) Then the vet came in and checked Angel over, looked in her ears and mouth, took her temperature rectally (ouch!), and pronounced her healthy. When it was Cling's turn, she had to have a shot and get blood taken for a test. The vet also trimmed her nails, which Cling hates worse than almost anything. But she got over it quickly, and by the time we started for the car she was her sunny self. Angel sulked all the way home, and as soon as we let her out of the crate she went running upstairs to ignore us for awhile.

Sunshine Girls
By the time I was on my Saturday call with Firstborn, Angel had decided to forgive me. She came into the sunroom and lay down behind me, in a patch of sun from the skylight. She stretched out luxuriously on her side and dozed off. Pretty soon Cling came trotting into the room, headed for the sunbeam -- and stopped short when she saw Angel in it. She stood there for a moment, looking at Angel... then turned around and wandered to the other side of the room and flopped down. A few minutes later she got up and came over again. This time Angel woke up, lifted her head and looked at Cling. They just looked at each other for a few moments; then Cling turned and wandered away again, this time whimpering softly. Angel laid her head back down for a little while... then I guess she took pity on Cling. She got up and strolled out of the room, right past Cling -- who immediately leaped up and claimed the spot in the sunbeam! I love the way Cling's sweet disposition and cat-friendliness lead her to acknowledge Angel's seniority. And I love the way Angel makes her point but doesn't need to run it into the ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home