Monday, April 02, 2007

Ten Years

This past Saturday, March 31st, was my ten-year anniversary at Heaven, Inc. You don't get a cake for ten years, but you do get a lapel pin or charm (your choice) set with a gem -- I believe it's a topaz. I chose the charm, to be worn on a gold chain as a necklace. Last Thursday my boss, Jerry, came over to my cube and gathered everybody around, and presented it to me. I made a little speech in which I thanked him, told my co-workers how much I enjoy working with them, and ended with a little joke: "My husband says he's spent longer than 10 years in the bathroom at this place! But then, he worked here 33 years, then retired and came back. I got started later, that's all." Everybody congratulated me, and shook my hand, and it was just generally a very happy occasion for me.

Ten years! It hardly seems possible that so much time has passed. I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. Oh, I'm not saying that all of it was fun; far from it! I had one boss who about drove me nuts -- I'd never been so glad to get away from somebody! I was quite relieved when he retired, because only then was I sure I'd never have to work for him again! (Because even if he came back, they don't let retired-rehired people be supervisors.) I had some amazing experiences, most notably my trip to Australia in March of 2000 -- the Business Trip of a Lifetime, as I call it. There were other trips too; Chicago, San Antonio, Peekskill, Las Vegas... Round round get around, I get around. There's nothing quite like staying in a fabulous hotel room, going out for a delicious dinner, and whipping out the company credit card.

A lot has changed in my life since I started at Heaven, Inc. Firstborn was a junior in high school; now he's 27 and soon to be married. Young'un was in kindergarten; now he's 6'4" and has a driver's license. Stepdaughter was single and living in Denver; now she's married with two kids, and lives about 20 minutes away. Other things have stayed the same: Husband and I are still happily married, and still in the same house; still pretty much the same people we were ten years ago. Overall, it's been a good ten years.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home